Using the great outdoors to launch a greater career

jesse maker in kayak

In his role as an Experiential Learning Facilitator at Active Education, graduate Jesse Maker (BSportHlthPhysAct ’21) is using his niche knowledge of the outdoors to create and deliver education programs that focus on physical and mental wellbeing for children and adults alike.

His pursuit of a career centred around nature began in high school, where he participated in outdoor education programs and discovered his love for physical activity and the great outdoors.

“Going through school, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do but I knew it was going to be something physical and outdoors,” Jesse says.

“Taking part in outdoor education in Year 11 and 12 at high school exposed me to new activities that I loved and wanted to do all the time. It was by talking to my teacher and leaders on school camps and excursions that I realised I could pursue a career doing those exact activities.”

When Jesse discovered Flinders University offered a degree program specifically for outdoor education, he knew he had found the right path.

“Completing my degree has set up my professional life immensely, and I find myself every day implementing knowledge I learnt throughout my time at Flinders,” he says.

One such memory of imparted knowledge from his time at Flinders was a trip to Kangaroo Island with his outdoor education crew and lecturer, Joss Rankin.

“The trip was extremely rewarding, getting the opportunity to help out the local schools and wildlife organisations, at the same time as strengthening lifelong friendships with my classmates,” says Jesse.

Reflecting on how his time at Flinders has impacted him both personally and professionally, Jesse says, “Studying a degree at Flinders University has definitely changed me as a person. The relationships I have built throughout my course will last a lifetime, and the amount of confidence I gained over the three years has setup my professional career greatly.

“I think about things differently now and feel fearless.”

Jesse’s future plans include furthering his knowledge and qualifications in outdoor education. He hopes to teach a wide variety of activities and work with many different organisations and schools that want to educate about the opportunities of the outdoors.

“The memories and experiences I have gained through my degree have changed my life,” says Jesse.

“The tutors, my classmates, and the course design was all perfect for my professional and personal development, and I am forever grateful for Flinders.”

For those considering studying the Bachelor of Sport, Health and Physical Activity (Outdoor Education) program at Flinders, Jesse’s advice is to, “have fun and expect to be challenged in a great way!”

Find your Fearless | Study Sport and Active Recreation at Flinders

College of Education, Psychology and Social Work Education Sport