Each month we share some of our timely frequently asked questions around educational technology.
Q: Can I send an announcement to a specific group of students? For example, I coordinate a shared topic in FLO which has both internal and external students and I would like to send an announcement just to the external students.
Yes, you can apply a grouping to the Announcements forum which will allow you to filter and choose which group to send the announcement to. To do this:
- Click on the Announcements forum. Next click on the Administration menu, then Edit settings.
- Expand the Common module settings section.
- Set the group mode to Visible groups.
- Change the grouping to the relevant grouping. (For the example described in the question, choose Child topics as the grouping)
When you go back to the Announcements forum and create a new post, you’ll see a new menu that allows you to choose from the groups within the grouping you have selected.
Q: I want to reuse a quiz that has already been used in my topic, but I would like to modify some of the questions. What is the best way to do this?
If you are planning to change some questions used in an old quiz, you should not modify them as this will impact the quiz where they were originally used. The best approach to do this is following these steps:
- Go to the question bank and find your questions.
- Duplicate the questions that you want to use and edit them.
- Create a copy of your quiz and replace the original questions with the modified versions.
- Consider if you need to reorganise your question bank (careful planning is required when using random questions).
Important note: duplicating a quiz does not duplicate the modified questions. The duplicated quiz uses the same questions as the original.
For more tips on how to organise the question bank and build and test your quiz, please visit the Quizzes in FLO – the basics (self-paced workshop).