Why I love teaching

World Teachers’ Day 2023 will be celebrated across Australia on Friday 27 October 2023. Let’s celebrate Australia’s teachers for their skilled work in educating, inspiring and supporting our students. We spoke to five Flinders University Education graduates about their differing journeys into the field.

Jack Ellis

After a career full of twists and turns, each adding to a broad skillset, Jack Ellis (BEd(MS), BA ’11) now finds himself using those teaching and acting skills to help break outdated stereotypes to boys and young men across the country through a program called Goodfellas. He says, “My teaching background helped with program development and my acting skills really helped with presenting. Read more

Amanda Greenhill

Amanda Greenhill’s (Bed(PrR-7),BA ’22) journey into the world of education is testament to the transformative power of pursuing one’s passions. Her decision to teach Aboriginal children in remote South Australia was inspired by one of her lecturers, Dr Steve Corrie (BEd(UP/LS) ’97). “Steve gave this inspiring talk which got me looking into teaching on the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) lands. Just that one brief encounter changed my whole outlook on things,” says Amanda. Read more

Todd Watson

After completing his degree, Todd Watson (Bed(MidSecSch),BHlthSc ’12). returned to his hometown of Millicent in regional South Australia. He planned to do some casual relief teaching while seeking a permanent position but found an unexpected opportunity. “I walked into what I thought was just going to be a conversation around what Millicent High School might be able to offer and walked out with a set of keys,” he recalls. Read more

Elyse Clark

Elyse Clark (BEd(ECh),BA ’15), fascinated and inspired by her own daughter’s learning and development, decided she wanted to have a true impact in these most important years. “I believe that there is nothing more special than watching children learn, develop and grow”, says Elyse. “I am excited to go to work every day and contribute to giving young children the best start in life.” Read more

Jesse Maker

Jesse Maker (BSportHlthPhysAct ’21) is using his niche knowledge of the outdoors to create and deliver education programs that focus on physical and mental wellbeing for children and adults alike. His pursuit of a career centred around nature began in high school, where he participated in outdoor education programs and discovered his love for physical activity and the great outdoors. Read more

Uncategorised