As Flinders Foundation’s CEO and member of the FCIC Governance Committee, every day I see firsthand the researchers, clinicians and staff working tirelessly in FCIC. We have different roles, but we are all united by the purpose which sits behind our collective efforts.
In my role I meet many patients and families, all directly benefiting from the outstanding work which is delivered day in, day out, under the FCIC roof. The Foundation team’s role in bringing this work to life in the eyes of the community is an important one, and through this engagement we are committed to growing the funding available to support research and patient care at FCIC in the future.
Flinders Foundation funds the full spectrum of discovery – from lab to clinic to cure – working across the Flinders precinct and striving for maximum impact on the future of cancer treatment. This year almost $1m of our funding pool has been directed specifically to cancer research and care.
I’m incredibly grateful for the support of the community, who generously give to Flinders Foundation to help make this possible – not just at FCIC, but right across Flinders.
The impact delivered through this support includes:
- $700,000 in research funding, including seed funding for 10 new research projects at FCIC
- The continuation of the oncology massage program to provide relief and relaxation to cancer patients during treatment. This program has also expanded to Ward 5G to provide a bedside service
- $70,000 for two new ultrasound probes to more accurately biopsy men with suspected prostate cancer across Southern Adelaide
- $132,000 in funding for various other equipment at FCIC
- $13,000 supporting the 2017 Survivorship Conference
Our cancer focus in 2018 includes:
- Continuing to fund leading cancer research at FCIC
- Supporting the Flinders Infusion Suite as it expands from 12 to 17 chairs
- Developing a new dedicated Cancer Survivorship Wellbeing Centre on the ground floor of the centre, including a comprehensive cancer care program to help cancer patients and their families.
Thank you for your continued support and I look forward to working together in 2018. On behalf of the Flinders Foundation team, we wish you all a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.
Chief Executive Officer