The Australian Academy of Science invites expressions of interest from junior scientists who are no more than 30 years of age (at the time the application is submitted), to visit the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the United States of America. See the National Institutes of Health for a list of institutes.
Only citizens and permanent residents of Australia living in Australia at time of application are eligible to apply. Proposals in any health-related field of natural science will be considered.
At the time of application, applicants should:
- have an intent to enrol in PhD study in an Australian institution
- be in the first two years of a PhD degree or equivalent
- be in the final year of a masters or a bachelors with honours degree or
- have completed a masters or a bachelors with honours degree.
Under this scheme, applicants are expected to be undertaking PhD study in an Australian institution at the time of travel. Applicants can request travel support to access the international leading-edge research facilities and staff of the NIH.
The proposed visit should initiate long-term collaborations and facilitate the development of the applicant’s career.
Terms of award
The successful applicant will receive a contribution towards the direct return air travel between Australia and the host institution up to a maximum of A$2600, and a once-off living allowance of up to a maximum of A$400 provided by the Adam J. Berry Memorial Fund (AJBMF). The National Institutes of Health (NIH) will provide a small daily stipend during the participant’s stay in America.
The duration of the visit is expected to be between 6 and 13 weeks and must occur wholly between 1 January and 31 December 2020. The program does not provide funds for bench fees, visa or insurance costs.
An assessment panel will review the expressions of interest and create a short list of candidates for the FNIH to review. The FNIH will select the one candidate that best fits into their current research projects. The FNIH will provide letters of invitation for visa and related purposes.
Applications are to be submitted online
Applications must include:
- proof of Australian citizenship/Australian permanent residency
- completed application including research proposal
- copy of correspondence with potential host/s at the NIH in relation to visit, including acceptance of visit
- CV and publications list.