The clinical placement model for 2023 – 2025 reflects the changes that health services undergo on a regular basis, recent negotiations with the various health services to expand the placements on offer, and feedback from clinicians about the current clinical placement model.
The primary focus of the clinical placement model is to ensure that the medical students meet the AMC’s graduate outcomes and are both prepared for internship and future practice.
The clinical placement model for 2023 – 2025 features:
- Alignment of dates for semesters between SA and the NT
- Improved alignment of 6-week rotations for both Years 3 and 4
- 2-week break for Year 3 and 4 students between semesters
- Two Progress Tests in semester 1 of Year 4 and none in semester 2 (excluding students who need to retake a test)
- One elective in Year 4
- A stronger focus on preparedness for internship in Year 4
Your questions and feedback are welcome. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Michal Wozniak MBBS FRACGP
Acting Director, Medical Program (MD)
Clinical Placements – South Australia
The following applies to clinical placement models in SA. All placements are 6 weeks in duration.
(S) = selective
* Rural placements include: General Practice, anaesthetics, ED, general medicine, general surgery, women’s health
Year 3 – SA
Year 4 – SA
Clinical Placements – Northern Territory
The following applies to most clinical placement models in the NT. All placements in Year 4 are 6 weeks in duration.
(S) = selective
Year 3 – NT
Year 4 – NT
MD Rural Stream (MDRS)
MDRS placements are not affected by changes to the clinical placement model for 2023 – 2025. Upon completion of Year 3, MDRS students will progress to one of the Year 4 placement models described above.
Linnea Boileau will contact General Practices shortly to offer more information and answer questions about the clinical placement model for 2023 – 2025.
The assessment items that clinical supervisors are required to complete remain the same. There will be some small changes to the current Global Assessment of Progress (GAP) form in line with the current Intern Training Term Assessment form. In addition, students will still be required to complete mini-CEX.