Experience a remote health placement in Central Australia

CRH Placement Students
3rd Year undergraduate nursing students on placement with CRH: Melissa Godden, Hannah Leadbeater, Georgia Trewren and Emma Watson

From visiting remote communities, touring Uluru, playing in the local netball league or volunteering in primary health programs, Centre for Remote Health (CRH) placement students are getting the most out of their Red Centre experience.

During their 8 week Central Australian clinical placement facilitated by CRH, 3rd Year undergraduate nursing students Georgia Trewren, Melissa Godden, Hitomi Tokairin, Hannah Leadbeater, Bridget Smith and Emma Watson are gaining valuable clinical experience at the Alice Springs Hospital and working alongside remote area nurses in some of the most remote community health clinics in Australia.

After weeks of theoretical learning in the classroom, clinical placements outside metropolitan areas can be extremely valuable for students, providing opportunities to put their knowledge into practice and to be inspired by committed health professionals providing great care.

The students had this to say about their experience ………

“I applied for the allocation of a Central Australia rural placement to fulfil my sense of adventure and to observe the health issues faced within the Indigenous population. My experiences of the placement thus far have been very emotionally warming and it has inspired me to seek further career opportunities here in the future.”

“Being able to live in a remote area and experience independence as well as learning new skills every day has challenged me and inspired me to apply to return and work here in Alice Springs next year. My preceptors and all the other staff in the Emergency Department have been so helpful and I can’t thank them enough for their patience and support.”

“I have enjoyed every moment of my Alice Springs placement. I have had the opportunity to expand my cultural knowledge, experience the difference between metropolitan healthcare and rural and remote healthcare and work with some amazing people. This is an experience I will never forget. I have developed skills that will help me anywhere as well as being inspired and motivated by the nursing staff to do the best I can. This is an opportunity that I would not pass up on”.

CRH in Alice Springs facilitates undergraduate medical, nursing and allied health placements from universities around Australia and is currently focussing on increasing its capacity for student placements in Central Australia.  Placement opportunities include the Alice Springs Hospital, Aboriginal community controlled organisations, community health and remote clinics in Indigenous communities.  A large number of placement students return after graduation to take up positions in Central Australia.

Students with an interest in regional and remote health can apply to their university placements office to undertake a placement with CRH in Central Australia.

Find out more about student placements with CRH
Contact the CRH Placements Coordinator

Centre for Remote Health (CRH)