From nursing placement to graduate year in the NT

Ever since starting university and understanding the importance of quality healthcare in rural Australia, Flinders University Nursing Graduate, Annabel Batty had a goal to pursue a career in rural health. After completing two of her student placements in the Northern Territory she is now thrilled to have landed her Graduate Year at the Katherine Hospital.

With fond memories of travelling around the Northern Territory as a child, Annabel was excited to be granted a six week placement in the Paediatric Ward at the Alice Springs Hospital and she quickly fell in love with both the work she was doing and the lifestyle that the Northern Territory offered. “I found it easy to become an integrated team member and looked forward to my placement every day”, she says.

Annabel also had the opportunity to meet other students in Alice Springs, through her regular attendance at Centre for Remote Health SNIPS education sessions where she learnt about common conditions in the Northern Territory.

Although disappointed not to secure her second placement in Alice Springs, and despite her initial thoughts of “Katherine! That’s so far away! How will I get there and what will I do?!”, Annabel describes her eight-week placement at the Katherine Hospital Emergency Department (ED).
“It was both the most thrilling and fun-filled placement I had in my degree.
“Completing my placement in a small town ED offered me the opportunity to get involved in many situations where students in metropolitan placements would often be required to step back due to time constraints and overcrowding.
“The nurses in Katherine were so welcoming. I even went camping with a few of them on my days off.”

Having fallen in love with Katherine, Annabel rearranged her preferences for the NT Graduate Program and soon landed a Graduate position in Katherine.

“I am super excited to start my Graduate year. My first rotation is on the General Medical Ward and I am hoping for a second rotation in ED or Paediatrics. Completing placements away from home made the move easier and I know what to expect from the hospital. I would recommend anyone interested in rural health to join their university rural health club and consider the NT as a great way to deep dive into rural health and the amazing opportunities it has to offer.”

Centre for Remote Health (CRH) Flinders NT Remote and Rural Interprofessional Placement Learning NT (RIPPL NT) Student Placements