Developing skills around physiotherapy

Physiotherapy student from James Cook University, Simone Tsang recently completed a five-week placement at Desert Therapy in Alice Springs, supported by Flinders NT student placement team at the Centre for Remote Health. Desert Therapy is a private multidisciplinary allied health service providing therapy to adults and children who are National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) recipients.

During her placement, Simone was able to build her skills in a variety of clinical areas, including paediatrics, adult rehabilitation, chronic disease management and musculoskeletal conditions. ‘Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team at Desert Therapy allowed me to be part of joint therapy sessions with occupational therapists and speech pathologists. This gave me further insight into the work of other disciplines and highlighted the importance of a multi-disciplinary team in managing patients with complex needs. I found it rewarding to see weekly changes and the positive effects of therapy’, she says.

During her time at Desert Therapy, Simone also gained an insight into a variety of other health services available in the Northern Territory.

At Acacia Hill School, Simone had the privilege of working alongside teachers, parents, health professionals across various disciplines and non-clinical personnel, involved in client care, contributing to the achievement of clients’ goals, and improving quality of life.

My placement in Alice Springs provided me with a variety of clinical experiences which developed my skills in liaising, teamwork and advocacy. These skills will be carried into my professional career.

Physiotherapy students on placement, Simone Tsang (left) and Karis Moffat (right) with supervisor Anne Bent (centre)
Centre for Remote Health (CRH) Flinders NT Remote and Rural Interprofessional Placement Learning NT (RIPPL NT) Student Placements