Free media experience for Flinders HDR Students

The media often interview researchers asking them to explain the benefits of their research to large non-academic audiences. This can be an intimidating experience for most people and for Higher Degree by Research students it can be a challenge to switch from academic to non-academic voices. Chances to practice being interviewed by the media are rarely offered before completing a Higher Degree by Research (HDR). Until now!

Braidwood Community Radio is offering the unique opportunity for our HDR students to be interviewed by an experienced media professional. This fantastic experience will give our students the chance to practice being interviewed and promote their research at the same time.

Jessica Young, a current Flinders PhD student, has already taken up this opportunity with Braidwood Community Radio. Jessica’s research focuses on the stigma surrounding persons with dementia and explores issues of power, injustice and prejudice during their transition to long-term care. She recently co-authored the opening chapter to the ‘World Alzheimer Report 2019’ along with Professor JB Orange from Western University and Associate Professor Christopher Lind from Flinders University.

The radio interview focused on Jessica’s contribution to this important report and on how her PhD work relates to the concepts covered in the report. Jess said of her experience:

“Being on Braidwood Community Radio provided me with a supported and positive introduction to engaging with the media. It not only required me to reflect on recent successes and research findings, but Rod’s [the interviewer’s] questions prompted me to consider areas of my work that may need greater attention in my thesis if I am to have my work understood by people outside of academia. I was able to practise my skills in thinking on my feet and verbally communicating the value of my research to the broader community. I would highly recommend that other students take up this opportunity!”

Click here to listen to Jessica’s interview and visit Jessica’s blog to find out more about her work. If you would like to contact Jessica you can email her directly at jess.young@flinders.edu.au

If you are a Flinders HDR student who is in their mid to late candidature and you would like to get involved, click here to find out more.

HDR HDR students in focus