PhD candidate Anahita Motamedisade – pursuit and recognition towards environmental sustainabilities

“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau

My name is Anahita Motamedisade, I am truly keen to work on Nanotechnology and preparation of new nanocomposites efficient in Environmental Sustainability.
My interest in chemistry originated from a chemistry teacher, back in high school.
I went straight to university after high school and doing the course projects was a good way of learning the implications of the courses in the beginning. These projects in different fields of Chemistry not only equipped me with a certain set of skills but also helped me know my fields of interest, Organic Chemistry, and my academic strengths and weaknesses.
After I graduated in applied chemistry, I put a lot of efforts to be accepted into a better university to pursue my aims. As a result, I achieved the 99th place among all the participants in the field of Chemistry amongst more than twenty thousand attendances. It was the first time in my life I proved to myself that I can reach anything I desire, no matter how hard it is, if I find my heart and prospective future in it.

These good results enabled me to continue my studies based on my personal preference, which was Organic Chemistry at Shahid Beheshti University. I was also lucky enough to gain a lot of experience in the applications of synthesis of organic compounds and I ranked 1st in organic chemistry courses amongst the other students.
It arose a kind of motivation in me to become a hardworking researcher in a new field, Heterogeneous Catalysis and Polymer Science and it was great opportunity for me especially; using my synthesis knowledge in creation of novel polymeric nanocomposites used as the suitable supports for heterogeneous catalytic applications. Also, I was in Germany as a visitor researcher at Ulm University for about 6 months and it was such a good chance for me working on “synthesis of molecular-metal oxide catalysts used in water splitting reactions” and being familiar with the new window of science, photocatalytic systems.

When I was searching for a university to do my PhD, I was really impressed by most innovative research at Flinders Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology.
Furthermore, going through Professor Dr. Gunther Andersson’s published papers and knowing about his areas of interest assured me working with him is one of the greatest chances for me to follow my academic goals. Also, it is a great opportunity for me, using my polymer, synthesis, and catalytic systems knowledge in solar fuels applications. It was my pleasure to be awarded an Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship to commence my PhD. in July 2019 working in “Preparation of the functionalized mesoporous TiO2 as an efficient substrate for loading the prepared gold clusters; their photocatalytic activity investigation” project.

During my PhD so far, I have participated 3 conferences with oral and poster presentation that I have received one of Best poster competition award in DocFest 2020 at Flinders University.

Also, I have been selected as a MENTEE in the 2020/2021 Industry Mentoring Network in STEM (IMNIS) program by Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering.

What was impressive and influential in determining my path was that I succeeded to synthesize Gold nanoclusters with different sizes applicable in various industries for the first time in Australia, and different kinds of mesoporous TiO2 substrates in the first year of my candidature. It made me motivated to investigate using these nanomaterials in the areas I love to work, sustainability in the environment, in hydrogen generation and water purification.

Whenever I received an email regarding the award, named in honour of the late Dr Tony Jordan OAM, recognising the most outstanding applicant of Wine Australia’s annual scholarships for postgraduate students in the fields of wine, viticulture, and wine business research, I got eager to try my chance with my idea in winery wastewater treatment application. As a result, I am privileged to be one of the successful 10 candidates awarded the Wine Australia’s scholarships for 2021 among many excellent, competitive applications, helping to establish Flinders University’s wine research and education program and helping to make our planet safer and cleaner.

So, such a golden chance motivates me to make more effort to meet my dreams and ambitions and go toward the brilliant future.
I am so grateful of Flinders University, Australian Government, and my supervisor Gunther Andersson to support me to follow my dreams.

Awards HDR students in focus