Get to know PhD Student – Safeyn Mridul

In this month’s newsletter, we would like to introduce PhD student, Safeyn Mridul  from the College of College of Business, Government and Law.

Safeyn recently participated in the Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand 3MT Competition where he placed 2nd. Safeyn was also a semi finalist in the Flinders 3MT Competition in 2023.

Introduction

I am Safeyn, a passionate advocate for community sports development hailing from the vibrant cricket-loving nation of Bangladesh. Over the past five years, I have dedicated my efforts to fostering the growth of community cricket in Australia. My academic journey led me to pursue a Master’s in Sport Management at the University of Technology Sydney, where I honed my understanding of the intricacies of sports administration. Building on this foundation, I am currently undertaking PhD in Sport Management (CBGL) at Flinders University. My research focus revolves around the vital aspect of community sports club volunteering, exploring strategies to enhance recruitment and retention of volunteers within these pivotal hubs of local sports. In parallel to my academic pursuits, I have been contributing significantly to the cricket landscape as a Cricket Officer at the South Australian Cricket Association since February 2022. field. I am excited about the potential of my research to bring about positive change in community sports clubs, creating environments that not only attract but also retain dedicated volunteers.

About SMAANZ 3Mt

The SMAANZ Three-Minute Thesis Award (SMAANZ 3MT) supports emerging scholars in sport management, offering financial assistance for SMAANZ conference attendance. Open to student members, the award targets research-based honours, masters, and doctoral candidates, promoting scholarly inquiry and the application of management theory in sports contexts. Eligible participants submit a three-minute thesis-style presentation, and three finalists present live at the SMAANZ Conference. The winner, receiving AUD $500 and a certificate, is expected to provide a research synopsis for SMAANZ communication, while all finalists have their conference registration covered (SMAANZ Three-Minute Thesis Award – SMAANZ.)

My Experience

My experience was nothing short of awesome and enriching. As a finalist, I had the opportunity to showcase my research in the dynamic and competitive 3MT presentation at the SMAANZ Conference. The atmosphere was undoubtedly electric as I shared the insights and findings, contributing to the scholarly discourse in sport management. The experience not only allowed me to demonstrate my expertise but also provided a platform to connect with fellow researchers, professionals, and enthusiasts in the field. Being part of this prestigious competition undoubtedly added a valuable dimension to my academic journey.