L. Nicol Cabe – 2023 HASS Winner of the Best HDR Student Publication

Nicol Cabe is from the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences and is one of the eight winners of the Best HDR Student Publication Award for 2023.

Her winning publication Effing Robots Online: The Digital Dramaturgy of Translating In-Person Theatre to Online Streaming explores how she translated her scifi-inspired fringe festival solo performance into an online streaming show, and how in-person theatre techniques relate to digital performances including pandemic-era digital theatre.

Nicol is supervised by Dr. Sarah Peters and Dr. Tully Barnett at Flinders University.

We invited Nicol to share insights into the PhD journey and what winning this award means.

What is your research about?

I am creating a guidebook to help theatre makers interested in digital theatre techniques as they continue to develop post-pandemic; this includes virtual reality, pre-recorded, livestreaming, and smartphone-based performances.

What does winning this award mean to you?

It’s incredible to be recognised! I felt lucky enough to be published within my first year and a half of work, but having it further recognised by my educational institution is phenomenal. It’s a nice point on my growing academic/research resume.

Why did you choose to commence a PhD?

I’m very passionate about the intersection of technology and performance, especially as it had to change during 2020 and 2021. There was a lot of innovation and I want that recognised and supported – there are lots of digital theatre makers still creating fascinating shows and I hope that keeps going.

Tell us about your PhD journey so far

It’s been a fun whirlwind! I’m from the US, and PhDs there typically take 4 or more years – so being required to focus and get everything done has been a good amount of pressure, it makes me hone my ideas.

Awards CHASS Congratulations HDR students in focus