Clinical Rehabilitation graduate Xolani taking expertise back home

Postgraduate study at Flinders

Master of Clinical Rehabilitation graduate and Australia Awards student Xolani Lennox had one burning ambition after studying in Australia.

“I chose to study my postgraduate degree at Flinders because I wanted to bring the expertise I learned here back to my community in South Africa,” he says of his time in Adelaide.

No. 1 in AUSTRALIA in Rehabilitation for learner engagement, overall quality of educational experience and skills development The Good Universities Guide 2020 (undergraduate)

“During my search for the course that I was going to study, it came down to two choices. I did a lot of research and I found I liked the way Flinders were conducting their education and learning. It was the clear choice for me thanks to the recommendation of Flinders alumni I spoke to, who said it was the best university for health studies.

The benefits of studying in Adelaide

“I like the location here in Adelaide, it is more convenient for studying, as compared to Sydney and Melbourne. It’s great for focusing on your studies – and I felt very safe here.” For Xolani, the safety and infrastructure of South Australia was incredibly appealing.

“There is excellent law enforcement and there is a big sense of security in terms of moving around in society freely. The public transport is good, you can get around very efficiently without a car and it is accessible for people with disabilities – quite different from back home!”

Learn more about studying postgraduate Clinical Rehabilitation at Flinders – here.

Placement and career opportunities

“For me, the highlight of my course was the three-month placement,” says Xolani of his all-important placement. “It was in a health facility attached to the Flinders Medical Centre in collaboration with The Repatriation General Hospital, dealing with the lower limb rehabilitation of amputees.”

Xolani found the clinical experiences he learned during his time at Flinders, has changed the way he will work in clinic, back home in South Africa.

“I learned a lot that was very different from my clinical experiences in South Africa. What stood out to me was the interaction of clinicians with the patient and the full involvement of the client in decision making. For us, back at home, we focus on the mobility of the patient without considering the psychological aspects. It’s opened my eyes to how we can help the patient by integrating these learnings.

Advice for prospective students?

“I found the staff and the environment of Flinders really supportive,” he says. “I’m so pleased I had the opportunity to come and study here. I’d highly recommend it.”

INTERESTED IN STUDYING AT FLINDERS UNIVERSITY? YOU CAN START YOUR DEGREE ONLINE NOW, AND JOIN US ON-CAMPUS LATER. WE’LL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO GET OUR CONTINUING STUDENTS ON-CAMPUS WHEN THE BORDERS OPEN – YOU’LL BE OUR PRIORITY.
GET IN TOUCH WITH OUR FRIENDLY STAFF HERE AND DOWNLOAD OUR COURSE GUIDE FOR MORE INFORMATION – HERE.
Australia Awards College of Nursing and Health Sciences Flinders International