Practical learning for Vietnamese Master of Accounting student Phuong

Study accounting in Australia Flinders

For Vietnamese Master of Accounting student Phuong Giang Nguyen, a love of numbers provided a clear career path in life.

“I have always loved numbers – that’s why I chose accounting as my course,” Phuong says. Having first-hand experience in the manufacturing industry in Vietnam, Phuong ‘learned both the importance and potential of managing cost and accounting in a corporation.’

So it wasn’t a question of what, but where, for the Vietnamese student to study in Australia.

Adelaide student city

Student-friendly Adelaide

“Many friends recommended this beautiful city,” she says on her initial search for an Australian city and university to call home. “I love the beach and the winter season in Adelaide – the coldness. I have never felt this in Vietnam.”

With its Mediterranean climate, South Australia’s capital Adelaide experiences mild winters and warm, dry summers. With average summer temperatures of 29°C and 15°C in winter, it has low humidity and plenty of sunshine year-round.

“Adelaide has all you need to make unforgettable memories when studying,” Phuong says of her adopted home. “I’ve met great people, encountered good infrastructure and facilities – and my school.”

Why study accounting at Flinders?

“After doing a lot of research and taking advice, I realised that Flinders was going to be the best fit for my personality and studying style. I strongly believe they will help guide me down the right career path.”

After her first semester, Phoung found herself feeling at home, making close friends, both fellow international students and local Australian friends. Alongside making friends through uni, Phuong participated in as many networking and student support initiatives as she could.

Learn more about studying postgraduate Accounting at Flinders University – here.

“Besides study, I also joined many career-enhancing activities and trips held by International Student Services (ISS). I received a really warm welcome, and the staff could not have been more supportive.”

Phuong has also taken advantage of the career development opportunities at Flinders.

“I would like to become a professional accountant in the future. To reach that, I started participating in a lot of career workshops with  Horizon Awards which actually helps me a lot.”

Phuong at Flinders Bedford Campus

A reputation of student support

Known as one of the more student-focussed universities, Flinders has a reputation for strong student support in South Australia – a reputation Phuong can confirm.

“I found that the Student Hub and Flinders University Student Association (FUSA) to be the most supportive with students,” she says. “They usually hold a lot of activities and welcome students during orientation (known as O’Week at Australian universities). They are especially helpful during stressful examination periods – giving you lots of tips, support, and free food and drinks.”

Click to discover more about the Flinders online support hub – here.

The Student Hub is home to Flinders Connect; the first point of contact for student services, the Central Library, and FUSA; who represent student rights and interests. Flinders International and ISS are also located in the Hub, making it a one-stop-shop for services, rest, relaxation, and food and dining options.

Study Accounting Flinders
Workshop and career support at Victoria Square Campus

Advice for prospective students

Phuong says, “At Flinders, you will have as much support as you ever need to pursue your dream job. You will not only adapt knowledge, but also learn many more professional-career-support skills. It’s a very practical learning environment.”

Interested in studying accounting at Flinders University? You can start your degree online now, and join us on-campus later. We’ll do everything we can to get our continuing students on-campus when the borders open – you’ll be our priority.
Get in touch with our friendly staff here and download our course guide for more information – here.
Business Flinders International International Student Services Postgraduate Vietnam