Study a Master of Science at Flinders and ‘tackle real world issues’ says Alfrets Tikoalu

Study Chemistry at Flinders

Indonesian student Alfrets Daniel Tikoalu decided to study a Master of Science at Flinders because it offered something other universities didn’t. “Flinders University offers a Master of Science (Chemistry) program that includes both coursework and research for two years.” Alfrets says this was particularly important to him.

This program helps me to enhance my chemistry knowledge and professional skills before I research independently.”

Flinders offers modern facilities

Alfrets was also attracted to the campus facilities at Flinders Bedford Park. Flinders Connect, the 24-hour library, student workspaces, food stalls, coffee shops – and plenty more,” contributed to the enhancement of his learning experience. In relation to his course, modern and state-of-the-art research tools and equipment were vital.

“I had many opportunities to use variations of high-tech analytical tools to assist my research,” he says. The staff were always happy to chat in-depth with Alfrets. “The lecturers were really helpful in discussions related to the topics; not only in chemistry but also in the current situation of technology and professional skills.”

Study Science in Australia
Flinders Laboratory

Living in Adelaide

Like so many students, Alfrets enjoyed the relaxed, affordable and beautiful lifestyle in Adelaide. Adelaide is one of the most liveable cities in the world. This city also has lots of festivals held every year which I love to visit, and the people are nice and helpful. The most important thing living in Adelaide is that I can find many Indonesian food/spices!”

Students dining in Rundle Mall. Image @StudyAdelaide

Academic and research excellence

Alfrets’ found his course ‘academically rigorous’ and knows it is preparing him for a career. “The course has prepared me to be more professional as a researcher, with the knowledge to solve current problems related to chemistry – such as environmental issues.” As an international student, Alfrets is looking to take his knowledge learned at Flinders out into the world.

“I have become much more confident to participate in society to use innovative chemistry for a better life.” This positive learning experience has inspired Alfrets to pursue his PhD.

If I get an opportunity to continue my PhD, I will do that soon because now I already have adequate knowledge and skills to do research.” After he has finished his study in Australia, Alfrets is keen to take his knowledge and skills back to Indonesia, where he’d like to work as a teacher or lecturer in higher education.

Graduating career ready

I was lucky enough to be supervised by Associate Professor Justin Chalker. He not only motivated me to do better in my course but also encouraged me to participate in the large-scale production of the material produced in the lab,” says Alfrets of his fantastic experience with his supervisor.

“Our research group has worked together with Clean Earth TechnologiesTMand Adelaide Control Engineering (ACE) to produce the material on an industrial scale that can be used in tackling wider mercury pollution problems.”

Click here to read more on Professor Justin Chalker’s research work – The Good Oil. 

Alfrets is confident that these experiences and his time at Flinders have enhanced his professional skills. “I met new people who always encouraged me to take on new challenges, I’ve shared my experience, and established networks and opportunities.”

Discover more about our postgraduate Science, Engineering, and IT courses for international students at Flinders University, and hear from our academics directly by registering for the PostGrad Open Days – click here to register.

Study In Australia

College of Science and Engineering Flinders International Postgraduate