Get to know your College: Khairul Arif Razali, Master of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (2017)

Khairul Arif Razali, Master of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (2017)

Current position: Psychology Officer (Clinical), University of Malaya Medical Centre, Malaysia

Why did you choose to study at Flinders University? I always wanted to further my studies in Psychology, particularly in an intervention that would help me to become specialised in it. Flinders was the only university in Australia that offered a Masters program in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, the gold-standard treatment for various mental health disorders and I was determined to study it. The rest is history.

What is your favourite memory from your time at Flinders? Oh, I have many! When I was growing up, my father taught me to appreciate and be grateful for the relationships that I established with others, particularly with those who share their valuable knowledge and experience. To this day I remain in contact with my fellow peers, lecturers and supervisors.

My proudest memory from Flinders is one that I often reflect upon. I was the first student in the Masters program to officially graduate from the course. That experience of being the first graduate for a particular degree and walking on the stage to personally receive the parchment from the Vice Chancellor was something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

What are the three most important professional attributes that your Flinders degree equipped you with? As part of the Masters program, I did a clinical practicum at the Centre for Anxiety and Related Disorders at Flinders Medical Centre which was equivalent to one and a half years of the two-year course.

Firstly, during my clinical practicum, I learnt the importance of going above and beyond, and to be creative when assisting my clients with their mental health. This experience had taught me to try and be as creative as I can to help others.

Secondly, I was able to strengthen my integrity and honesty when it was about the extent of assistance I could provide to the clients. I learnt that it is a combination of my own principles, the organisation’s code of ethics, and the clients’ ownership to be in control of their recovery that integrity can be put into practice.

Thirdly, I appreciate how teamwork can be crucial when it comes to working with my colleagues, for the benefit of others.

What has been the greatest accomplishment of your career to date? Being a part of a team that developed a framework to assist healthcare workers in facing the COVID-19 pandemic through Remote Psychological First Aid.