Get to know your College: Ruby Wolinska, Master of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 2019

Ruby Wolinska, Master of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 2019

Current position: Clinical Supervisor and Mental Health Coach, Remedy Healthcare

My Masters of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) student placement at Flinders Medical Centre Pain Management Unit is my favourite memory at Flinders. It was immensely rewarding and allowed me to be part of a fast-paced and supportive learning environment. Working within a multidisciplinary team afforded a wealth of knowledge from various fields including nursing, physiotherapy, medicine, psychology, and psychiatry. I formed professional connections that I have called on beyond my time at Flinders and have had the opportunity to make real-world impact delivering psychotherapy for patients experiencing physical and mental health challenges.

What did you do after graduating? I took time for self-reflection and self-development for the first six months. I explored new hobbies and activities for wellness before seeking a new role.

Have you maintained connections with fellow students or academics since graduating? I am in a unique position, as my current organisation has connections with the CBT Masters course academics. This has allowed me to collaborate with them for further professional and academic ventures. I also keep in touch with several fellow students which has been fantastic.

What is the most important professional attribute that your Flinders degree equipped you with? The attribute that stands out most from my degree is humanism, an appreciation for fostering the self-determination of others and striving to support the wellbeing of our community through our work.

What has been the greatest accomplishment of your career? The experiences of my degree left me well-equipped to fit in at my current workplace and contribute new clinical perspectives within the team. Since starting as a mental health coach with Remedy Healthcare, I have been endorsed alongside my team leader to transition to a clinical supervisor role. This role allows me to deliver case management as well as clinical development for our team as it continues to grow and evolve.

Who has inspired you the most in life? The academics facilitating the CBT Masters course have been my greatest professional influence. They model high standards of ethical practice, professionalism, and dedication to challenging their students to be their best.