Get to know your college – Katie Prest

What is your role and what does your work focus on?

I am a senior financial analyst in the college, focusing on research grants, specifically University Strategic Fund (USF) and University Research Budget (URB).

Where did you work before joining CMPH?

I worked at Seim Johnson, a Certified Public Accounting (CPA) firm in Omaha, Nebraska as a healthcare consultant, focusing in accounting (consulting, tax, and, audit). I also worked as a nutrition rep for a supplement company based in the Midwest.

What journey brought you to this point in your career?

My husband and I met in college in Louisiana (he played basketball, I played softball) but he is from Adelaide so we made the decision to move just before COVID-19 hit. After waiting for borders to open back up, we arrived in Australia in March 2022 and I began work at Flinders about a month later.

What do you love about Adelaide?

The thing I love about Adelaide is that it’s always felt like home. It reminds me a lot of Omaha, aside from the hills and beach (Omaha is very flat). It also helps that it doesn’t snow here 😂

What is something you love most about your work?

I love seeing the work and research that others are doing. There are some really cool projects going on at the university.

If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?

Listen to your gut, take the leap.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

In my spare time, I’m either in the gym, at the basketball court, or chasing my 4-year-old and (almost) 2-year-old. I also really love surfing and cruising on my longboard.

Get to know CMPH