Passion to help leads nurse to higher education

A passion for remote nursing and caring for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients has led Kerri Rothery to pursue a Master of Remote and Indigenous Health through Flinders University.

Initially curious about remote area nursing Ms Rothery set about gaining an Associate Diploma of Remote Health before moving out to Broken Hill to sharpen her skills with the Royal Flying Doctor’s Service as a primary health nurse and team lead.

Ms Rothery who now works for Sunrise Health Service Aboriginal Corporation in the Katherine region has been able to expand her skills since undertaking further postgraduate studies.

She has now completed her Graduate Diploma of Remote Health Practice and her masters and received the Centre for Remote Health Prize for Outstanding Masters Graduate 2022.

“I have been with Sunrise for the last eighteen months and have acted in a variety of roles such as remote area nurse, health centre manager, director of primary health care and operations manager, which I would not have been able to experience without the Master of Remote and Indigenous Health,” she says.

“The Master of Remote and Indigenous Health has enabled me to understand the significant barriers that Indigenous people face particularly in the remote space to access adequate holistic health care.  “It has given me a greater appreciation of Indigenous culture, the fundamentals of remote nursing and the significance of research enabling me to acquire the understanding and grounding to be influential in creating positive change in the rural and remote sector.”

At the moment Ms Rothery is Sunrise’s Credentialed Diabetes Educator and hits the road visiting Aboriginal communities across the Katherine east region to provide education and care on country.

Ms Rothery thanked those that supported her to complete her studies.

“I wish to give my sincere gratitude to my husband Lawrence, my lecturer Professor Sue Lenthall and my past and present colleagues who have provided me with a supportive network to complete this degree.  Without this support I would not have been able to fulfil my academic dream,” she says.

Flinders Rural and Remote Health NT Remote Health Practice Senior lecturer Colin Watson says the Master of Remote and Indigenous Health aims to produce advanced knowledge of the discipline of remote health.

“Students have the option of completing the degree either by coursework or research streams,” Mr Watson says.

“The Master of Remote and Indigenous Health aims to produce advanced knowledge of the discipline of remote health.

“Students are taught the communication, cultural and technical skills required to practice with a high degree of professional autonomy and accountability in remote and Indigenous settings.”

Flinders NT Katherine Rural and Remote Uncategorised