Get to know your college: Jason Bonson

Jason Bonson is based in Darwin at the CDU Flinders campus and is the Research and Engagement Manager – in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Male Health and Wellbeing.

What is your role and what does your work focus on?

Jason leads community engagement events and activities that support high-quality research with a particular focus on advancing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander male health research outcomes. Activities align with key focus areas of mental health and emotional wellbeing, stakeholder engagement, male health promotion, accessing of health and community services for men, rural and remote health, and primary health care.

Where did you work before joining CMPH?  I’m on secondment from the Northern Territory Government Department of Health.

What journey brought you to this point in your career?  I have worked in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Male Health and Wellbeing for more than 20 years.  This role provided me with an opportunity to progress my skills,  knowledge, experience in a research space – something I’ve been very keen to learn and develop.

What is something you love most about your work?  The change of organisations and meeting new people has been very refreshing and rewarding.

If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?  Travel more.

If you had a super power what would it be? JUST LIKE IRON MAN.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time? I like to relax by watching TV or reading, with spare time shared with family and friends.

Who is the most famous person you are related to? The Rock! Dwayne Johnson.

Flinders NT Medicine Uncategorised