Get to know your College: Amanda Weragoda

What is your role and what does your work focus on?  

I work in a small unit called Health Data & Clinical Trials, or HDCT for short. We provide clinical trial and health data support to researchers and enhance research outcomes. I’m currently coordinating a trial in mental health space and one in general medicine. I get the opportunity to work in a variety of trials across many different fields. Since each trial is unique by design, my role varies depending on the nature of the study.

Where did you work before joining CMPH?  

Before joining the wonderful team at HDCT, you could find me from 6AM – 3PM Monday to Friday where I was owner/operator of my city based Japanese Café, Chu Chu.

What journey brought you to this point in your career?  

From a young age I found biology to be fascinating. My family settled in a small country town in South Australia. There, I found that I had different life experiences and ambitions to my peers. Because of this I took every opportunity to immerse myself in science. This interest carried onto my tertiary studies as I completed a Bachelor of Medical Science degree from Flinders University. My exposure to research was enhanced during my Honours year where I undertook a project in the neuro-gastroenterology laboratories in the FMC.

What is something you love most about your work?  

I love the variety of trials I get to be part of. The dynamic nature of my work allows me to constantly learn and develop a multitude of skills in many areas. I also love that I get to work within a small, yet flexible team.

If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?  

Cryp…to. Don’t ask, just do. Run now go!!! Crypto.

If you had a super power what would it be?

The ability to clean, iron and fold clothes in mere seconds to free up half of my weekends for more productive activities. Or fly. Both sounds good.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time? 

Attend the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (ASO), try different restaurants, drink delicious wine, having naps.

Who is the most famous person you are related to?

Peter Gajewski AKA Juicy. A winemaker of 30+ years born and bred in the Barossa with bragging rights of the many accolades for World’s best Sangiovese.

Get to know CMPH