Get to know your College: Bryce Brickley

Research fellow Dr Bryce Brickley is one of the newest members of Rural and Remote Health NT. He made the move north from the Gold Coast to pursue his passion for men’s health research.

What is your role and what does your work focus on?

I’m a research fellow based in Darwin. My work focuses on supporting men’s health, including priority areas of rural and remote health, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. In 2023, I will lead the adaptation and delivery of the Aussie-FIT program in the Northern Territory. Aussie-FIT is a 12-week program that aims to support physical activity and healthy lifestyles among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and non-Indigenous men. The program is embedded in footy (AFL) settings, where men who have diagnosed heart conditions or are at risk of heart disease join a group of ‘men like me’ and are supported to foster and sustain healthy lifestyles.

Where did you work before joining CMPH?

I was Evaluation Coordinator for the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners – Alcohol and Other Drugs General Practitioner Education Program. I was also a member of Healthy Primary Care, a multidisciplinary research team at Griffith University. I collaborated in primary care research projects that explored strategies to help GPs deliver behaviour change interventions among priority patient populations.

What journey brought you to this point in your career?

As a dietitian, I’m a strong advocate for healthy lifestyles. I jumped at this opportunity to use my research skills and knowledge to support men’s health. I am excited for the challenge to design and deliver health promotion programs within the Northern Territory – a setting with arguably Australia’s most complex health systems and population. The cross-cultural research that I will lead will help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men to be healthy and well.

What is something you love most about your work?

I love that my work attempts to solve some of the most challenging problems, such as exploring and testing innovative strategies to prevent heart disease (which is attributable to most deaths in Australia). Primary prevention for heart disease involves the complex topic of behavioural change and forming healthy habits around diet and exercise. Only 6% of adults and 9% of children in Australia eat the recommended daily amounts of fruit and vegetables – diet is one example of a behaviour that if supported can have significant positive impacts within communities. I feel privileged to lead work that is future-focused; and will have impacts on the generations to come.

If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?

Be present. Enjoy every moment of the journey, without always thinking of the next big thing.

If you had a super power, what would it be?

Time travel – this would be very handy.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

Coffee, beach, friends, running, podcasts, movies.

Who is the most famous person you are related to?

Well, I wish I was related to Rip Wheeler (Cole Hauser).

Flinders NT Get to know CMPH Public Health Rural and Remote Uncategorised