Get to know your College: Dr Amy Wyatt

Dr Wyatt is currently a Senior Lecturer in Medical Biochemistry and contributes to teaching relevant topics to undergraduate and postgraduate students. She also coordinates Music for Health, an elective in the MD2 Personal and Professional Development curriculum.

Her research focuses on understanding the importance of protein misfolding in inflammatory conditions including preeclampsia, a serious complication of pregnancy, and Alzheimer’s disease. Additionally, she participates in research on the use of music in medical curricula, learning differences (e.g. ADHD, autism, dyslexia) and well-being.

Where did you work before joining CMPH? 

Previously I worked at the Illawarra Health and Medical Research Institute, University of Wollongong, NSW and the Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, UK. I also have a passion for science communication and have worked as a Producer for Henry Stewart Talks, London.

What journey brought you to this point in your career? 

I have dedicated an increasing amount of time to supporting research students and early career academics over the last few years. Taking on the role of Honours Course Coordinator feels like a natural progression.

What is something you love most about your work? 

The people. I am fortunate to work with amazing research collaborators, students, teaching academics and support staff.

If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be? 

“Be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.” ― Judy Garland

If you had a superpower what would it be?

The power to heal others.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

I sing, act and sometimes dance. Mostly just around the house these days, but I occasionally still perform in bands or in musicals.

Sir Thomas Wyatt

Who is the most famous person you are related to?

My Aunt has traced our family tree back to Sir Thomas Wyatt (Born 1503 – Died 1542) who was a poet and politician. He is best known for being locked up in the Tower of London for allegedly having an affair with Anne Bolelyn while she was married to King Henry VIII.

What are you most looking forward to in 2023?

New opportunities and new challenges.

CMPH Staff Get to know CMPH