Get to know your College: Richard Fejo

What is your role and what does your work focus on? 

Hi, my name is Dr. Richard Fejo and I am an Elder on Campus with Poche at Flinders University. The main objective of my role is to develop the Elders on Campus program that is run across Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin. For years 1-2 I provide lunch and learn sessions and mentoring at the Flinders University Charles Darwin Campus. For the year 3-4 I attend some classroom sessions and provide mentoring at Royal Darwin Hospital. In addition, I provide teleconference pastoral care to students in remote locations as well as face-to-face pastoral care to students on location at Palmerston Hospital.

Where did you work before joining CMPH? 

I worked with Northern Territory General Practice Education (NTGPE) for eleven years before joining Flinders University as Senior Aboriginal Cultural Educator Training General Practitioners (GP’s) new to the Northern Territory. As a Senior Cultural Educator, I was responsible for developing and delivering the cultural program to new GP Registrars entering and completing the NTGPE GP Training program. I led a team of five Aboriginal Cultural Educators who assisted in developing the cultural framework. During this period we also delivered cross-cultural training to many local services including Danila Dilba, AMSANT, Care flight, St John’s Ambulance, Somerville Community Services, Remote Area Health Corps (RAHC), and many, many more. Our external cross-cultural training program was highly sought after.

What journey brought you to this point in your career? 

During my work with NTGPE, I also became the Chairman of the National Cultural Educators and Cultural Mentors Network for five years which saw me travel to places like England where I presented Aboriginal Culture at one of the many Oxford Universities there. In total, I have currently spent twenty-nine years working across approximately forty Aboriginal communities in the NT dating back to 1994 when I started working with the Aboriginal Legal Service. I have also worked across legal and health fields and travelled to and presented at both national and international conferences regarding Aboriginal culture.

What is something you love most about your work? 

The thing I love most about my work has been the challenge of instigating positive change for my people which started when I was eight years old and first visited my Uncle in a small very remote town called ‘Elliot’ back in the 1970’s where living conditions were extremely poor state in every aspect. Going there from Darwin caused my first culture shock experience because we never had the roads, housing and general living standards that we take for granted today. Our elders fought for that and we need to continue to fight for that. Each of us in our own way, need to contribute to building equity for all Australians. I have dedicated my working life to presenting a different and positive perspective to Aboriginal Australia.

What advice would you share with your younger self?

I would advise myself to stay on the path that I am on because life has been and is an amazing journey with all sorts of highs and lows but if you believe in yourself and back yourself you will have one incredible journey ahead of you.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

I like to go fishing because when the fish are not biting, I can take the opportunity to breathe in the ocean air and switch off any thoughts and feeling so I can simply absorb the beauty around me. I believe that everyone has so much noise around each other that we restrict our ability to stop thinking but when I go fishing I find my own positive solitude were I can stop thinking. Many times when I am able to stop thinking (maybe I am blocking out distractions) a solution presents itself.

What are you most looking forward to in 2023?

There isn’t a moment in 2023 where I can’t wait to see my first-born granddaughter again! Yes she is gorgeous and yes she lives in Darwin and I try to go see her as often as I can. Every day if I could!

CMPH Staff Get to know CMPH Poche SA+NT