From Medical Science to Biotechnology: Ella’s advice for future scientists

A scientific passion and pursuit of knowledge

After completing a Bachelor of Medical Science in 2021, Ella set her sights on the constantly evolving area of Biotechnology by enrolling in a Bachelor of Science (Honours).

“As I spent more time at university I found there were many different careers in science that grabbed my attention, particularly those relating to biotechnology and microbiology.”

An expanding field with endless opportunities, Ella was intrigued by the unique possibility that far-fetched ideas could quickly become realised through this field of rapid innovation.

“It is exciting that we don’t get our information from textbooks as by the time they get published, the field has already advanced.”

Presenting the chance to better society and providing her further opportunities to learn and work.

“Biotechnology is quite a broad degree where you will learn about many aspects ranging from medical to industrial applications, so it is a safe bet if you are not too sure what job you would like to end up in.”

Lab practical leads to PhD

Ella’s passion for biotechnology was further reinforced through her experiences in the lab. She was fortunate to have Dr Liu-Fei Tan as a topic coordinator who provided a well-balanced approach to learning, with a focus on both theory and practical application.

“…even after completing my Bachelors degree, the Course Coordinator was very supportive during my honours and always makes sure to forward emails to their students for different scholarships and learning opportunities.”   

One such opportunity was a Summer Research Scholarship with Dr Bart Eijkelkamp in 2021, which gave her the chance to lead her own mini-project.

“The Summer Research Scholarship was my first experience in a lab outside of structured practicals in topics. The experience leading my own project gave me the confidence to undertake a placement in my final semester of medical science with the Eijkelkamp lab.”

This experience, along with the placement topic in her final semester, confirmed her decision to pursue an Honours year in science, before starting her PhD.

Ella’s advice…

For other students who may be passionate about science or interested in biotechnology, Ella’s advice is to read up on the literature and gain hands-on experience through laboratory placements.

“It is never too early to read up on the literature surrounding your field of interest and explore which labs here at Flinders are leading research in that area.

Keep your options open. Throughout your undergraduate degree, you will discover new areas of research you may have never known existed before. Finally, seek out scholarships and placements as they are valuable opportunities to gain experience in research labs!

CMPH Staff