Rural Roots: Emma pursues medicine to work in remote communities

Hailing from Nhulunbuy, a remote town in East Arnhem Land, Emma Angstmann always wanted to be a doctor. Now in her second year of the Darwin-based Northern Territory Medical Program (NTMP) Emma couldn’t be happier that she chose to stay in the NT to undertake her medical degree.

“I feel like we have the most interesting medicine up here,” Emma said.

“And I feel like we have probably a greater need for doctors and allied health and people in other health professions up here because there aren’t as many resources, so it’s great to be a part of that.”

When she graduates as a doctor, after entering the NTMP through the Year 12 entry pathway Emma wants to stay and practice in the Territory.

“I think I want to stick around a bit longer and do some rural generalist stuff and the NT is the best place in Australia to do that,” she said.

She encouraged other people from rural and remote areas to consider a career in medicine.

“It seems like something that’s very out of reach, especially up here, but I would recommend someone just go for it, since medicine is one of the harder things to go for, you may as well just reach for the stars, aim high,” she said.

With a cohort of 24 students, she said coming to university for class each day was a fun and supportive atmosphere free of the often-competitive nature of some medical schools.

“I feel very supported, especially up here because we have such a small cohort of people and you get to know everyone in the group really well, you know the year above you and the year below, you know your lecturers and teachers and so any issues that we’ve had, I’ve felt very comfortable to bring up and supported by everyone in your cohort, it’s like a little family,” she said.

She said one of the other benefits of studying the Flinders Doctor of Medicine through the NT Medical Program was that the degree was free, and you were guaranteed a job afterwards with participants of the program bonded to work in the Territory for four years.

Join the next generation of health and care professionals. Explore a life-changing career in health

CMPH Student Flinders NT Medicine Rural and Remote