Indigenous Entry Stream (IES) nurtures future rural doctors

Embarking on the journey towards a career in medicine is often marked by self-doubt, challenges, and moments of profound self-discovery. Despite nurturing an interest in medicine throughout his life, Jordyn struggled with feelings of inadequacy and disbelief in his capabilities. Encouraged by his experiences in Nuclear Medicine, he decided to explore alternative entry pathways into medicine. 

Based on the central New South Wales’ coast, Jordyn discovered Flinders University’s Indigenous Entry Stream (IES), a program designed to support and empower Indigenous students on their journey to becoming healthcare professionals. Recognising the value of this unique opportunity, Jordyn applied and was subsequently granted an interview for medical studies at Flinders.  

“Studying medicine was something that had always been on my mind throughout school but for one reason or another I had never considered it an actual possibility. 

The barrier I was facing was my own self-doubt, I never thought I would be someone smart enough to be able to become a doctor.” 

Relocating to South Australia and navigating through the requirements of the IES, Jordyn found comfort in the support provided by Flinders University. From dedicated tutors who understood the unique challenges faced by Indigenous students, to pre-made modules tailored to their needs, Jordyn found himself surrounded by a community committed to his success.  

“The IES offered additional support throughout the process… These tutors were current or previous First Nations medical students who had themselves been through the IES as well, so they were very understanding of the challenges that we were working through in the IES.” 

As Jordyn progresses in his medical studies, he remains receptive to the array of career paths available to him. With a background in medical imaging and a newfound appreciation for rural medicine cultivated during his placement in Mannum, his commitment to serving communities in need is evident. 

“Rural medicine is a significant component of the Flinders medical program and is a primary reason why many aspiring doctors choose to study with Flinders. During this time, I experienced a level of clinical immersion that you just don’t get if you study in the city. I gained a profound appreciation for rural doctors and the scope of medicine they practice.” 

“I wasn’t concerned about what specialty I would end up doing… I was there to learn how to become a safe, independent and compassionate doctor.” 

For prospective students considering medicine at Flinders University, Jordyn offers words of encouragement and reassurance.  

“Studying medicine is hard work… you do not need to be the smartest person, nor do you need to have a background in science or health to pursue this career.”  

As Jordyn’s medical journey unfolds, his experience with Flinders University’s Indigenous Entry Stream and rural medical placements highlights the university’s commitment to diversity and community impact. 

Find out more about Flinders’ Doctor of Medicine and the Indigenous Entry Stream and how to apply to study in South Australia or the Northern Territory. 

*The IES is an entry pathway for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants only. For alternative pathways to medicine please visit our dedicated webpage. 
Medicine Poche SA+NT Rural and Remote