Get to know your College: Rowena Lavery

What is your role and what does your work focus on? 

Teaching Specialist for the Master of Biotechnology mainly and broadly across multiple programs within the University. I focus on reviewing/updating canvas LMS course content and canvas module structure, sharing knowledge, using a personalised approach to teaching that includes real-time interactive team /game-based technology and preparing students for work-integrated learning (WIL) placements.

Where did you work and/or study before joining Flinders?

I’ve been fortunate over the last two decades to have worked as a research scientist in diagnostic, clinical and medical research laboratories in Ireland, Italy, UK, France and here in Australia. I love science, travel and teaching! Over the last decade, my focus has been directed to the education sector. I believe education opens doors to new and amazing opportunities for everyone!

What inspired you to pursue a career in your current field, and how has your passion evolved over time?

My inspiration for studying science was probably my Dad, a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society. I remember he used to take us on butterfly collecting expeditions to the Burren, Co. Clare, Ireland, as children and he would write Journal articles. The field of molecular biology has been a passion that developed ever since I was one of four top-tier students awarded a research placement in an Italian hospital. This developed into a passion for investigating infertility since there was a personal experience of that within the extended family. My path developed somewhat organically then as I was excited to take on a PhD research project available, in collaboration with the university hospital, to investigate idiopathic infertility at the molecular genetics level in couples undergoing intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and in vitro fertilisation (IVF).

Rowena (front row, second from right) with the Chaboissier / Schedl team at INSERM, South of France.

Can you share a memorable experience or project from your career that significantly impacted you or the community?

Working as a postdoctoral researcher at the Institute of Health and Medical Research (INSERM), South of France, with some of the brightest minds in the field of sex determination and fertility. I feel very humbled and proud to have contributed to our knowledge of the molecular genetic pathways involved in male and female sex determination and disorders of sex development.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

A morning 19 km cycle, a 1-hour yoga class, and a beach walk /swim to keep myself active and well-being (check out my Instagram site for active living motivation. I also love to spend the occasional Saturday morning browsing the latest auction house lots with my husband before a trip to the bakery. It’s all about balance after all.

CMPH Staff Get to know CMPH