Welcome to this week’s HDR Development Bulletin,
We hope that you had a chance to review your skills and decide what development activities to prioritise over the next few months. This week we are focusing on the skill: Career Planning, which can be accessed here on the REST FLO site.
Just like the need to engage in regular skill development, career planning is another activity best approached in a consistent and ongoing way.
Career planning is multifaceted – consisting of:
- engaging with self-reflection activities to figure out your strengths, weaknesses and preferences about what careers could work for you.
- undertaking professional development activities to make sure you acquire the skills you need.
- working on your personal brand presence so you can stand out in competitive job markets by making it clear how amazing and unique you are!
- participating in networking opportunities so you can build your visibility and establish contacts that will bring you closer to achieving your career goals.
Where to start:
- Our Careers team have some helpful activities and resources that will help you work on each of these areas, including: their Job Hack series; fortnightly drop-in sessions and this HDR-specific resource page.
- The REST FLO site also has a number of tools that will support your career planning activities.
- If you are interested in some external career development resources, especially around personal branding, our HDR Education Advisor, Dr Amy Butler, has personally found the Instagram content and free resources from Badass Careers very useful.
No matter where you are up to in your HDR Journey, now is the perfect time to start working on your career. So pick one thing to do this week – whether it is attending a Careers workshop, updating your CV or expanding your network on Linked In.
Want some personalised advice? Email HDR.Development@flinders.edu.au and we can help 😊