First Week at Flinders

Hi everyone!

My name is Rachel and I am here at Flinders University for a semester from the University of Calgary (U of C) in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am currently in my third year and working my way through two undergraduate degrees: a Bachelor in Business Administration as well as a Bachelor of Linguistics.

This week has been a bit of a whirlwind, in the best way possible. After 30 long hours of airplane rides and layovers I arrived safely in Adelaide the morning of February 21st. The University has a pickup service for international students, which I highly recommend for anybody heading this way as it takes away the stress of making your way to the university for the first time. Upon arriving at the university, I was given my keys and shown to my spacious unit in the Village on campus.

The first moments of being by myself in my room felt a bit overwhelming as the feelings of being alone in a new country were finally starting to sink in, but as soon as I made my way to the Community Centre for the welcome dinner I realized that I wasn’t alone at all! Everyone here is incredibly friendly and always happy and willing to meet new people, making it a relatively easy transition to life on campus. The first week has been packed full of events including meals, orientations, parties, and short trips into the city. With all that’s been going on, there’s hardly any time to feel homesick.

Flinders’ campus is a bit more spread out than at U of C so it’s taken some time to get used to navigating my way around, but the amazing views around campus have made it all a fantastic experience. Classes start this week and I am really looking forward to seeing what differences and similarities might exist between lectures here and lectures back home.

I’m hoping to find a part time job and also travel lots throughout the semester. I’m looking forward to all of my upcoming adventures and experiences of being an exchange student, I can’t wait to see what the next few months here have in store!

Inbound Student Blogs Student Exchange 101