Bound for Indonesia

Studying in Indonesia is an adventure that I have always wanted to undertake, and today is the beginning of this long-awaited journey. I will be finishing my Diploma of Language (Indonesian) at Gajah Madah University in the city of Yogyakarta (known as Jogja). Having done the short-term ACICIS program in 2014, as well as enjoying a number of holidays in Indonesia, I have some idea of what to expect in Jogja. However it is still a daunting prospect to arrive Jogja and find a place to call home for 5 months.

As per usual, I left packing as a last minute job to do last night. It is a method that guarantees that I’ll forget something, but I figure that if I’ve got my passport and wallet it will all work out.

During the next 5 months I hope to significantly improve my Indonesian, especially my ability to verbally communicate with native speakers. I also hope to explore more of Java on weekends and during university holidays.

As my flight begins to descend into Denpasar, I look forward to meeting many like-minded students tomorrow when orientation begins. As well as catching up with old friends alike.

Daniel May, a student of Bachelor of International Studies (Honours)/Diploma in Language  participating in ACICIS Flexible Language Immersion Program at in Indonesia in Semester 1, 2016 

Outbound Student Blogs