NCP Malaysia Experience

After spending an amazing three weeks participating in the New Colombo Plan in Malaysia, I have returned home with many different emotions.

I feel overwhelmed and happy when I think about the many places we went, people we met, and the things I learned, while experiencing the new and unique culture, foods and scenery of Malaysia. Although exhausted from the full schedule, I am extremely thankful that I was one of the lucky few chosen to participate in such an amazing program.

During this time, we learnt many things including the history and culture of South East Asia, conservation and sustainability of natural resources and upcoming science technologies. We went on field trips to the Selangor Palace Museum and Sekinchan where we visited local producers and tasted Nata De Coco (a jelly-like snack produced from coconut water fermentation). We spent three days on the island of Langkawi where we went to the beach, created a silk painting at the Craft Complex Museum and viewed the beautiful Geoforest parks from a cable car and boat. We were also fortunate enough to attend a wedding, experience traditional Chinese New Year celebrations with families in Putrajaya and Melaka, visit popular attractions such as the Petronas Towers, Batu Caves and do so much more.

This experience has given me unique and wonderful memories, that I will cherish forever. It has allowed me to develop valuable local and international friendships and a greater understanding of different cultures and places within our world. From my experience, I would highly recommend participating in an overseas study program to anyone considering it.

Claire Mercer,  Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Forensic and Analytical Science) student, participated in “Investigating the history, culture, politics, and science and technology capability of  Malaysia” in January 2017 

• Read Claire’s first post here
Malaysian wedding
Istana Alam Shah (Selangor Palace)
Kilim Karst Geoforest Park boat ride
First day in KLCC