Semester exchange in South Korea: 1st post

I chose to study in Korea because it is important for me to learn Korean language. Actually, the main reason I came to Korea is because my child is half Korean, and I want to give him the opportunity to acquire his other language.

Since I have spent a lot of time around Korean people and culture, I am already familiar with a fair bit of language and some cultural customs. I would like to learn more about the intricate details of Korean society. I would love for my son to adopt his Korean side of his identity, as a small child they will be embedded in him throughout his life. For example, he will always know to bow, and greet older people in the formal lamguage style, and here, it will be normal for him.

As for study, living and friendships, I am eager to meet people from different parts of the world as well as Korean people and get to know the ways they view the world. By looking through the lenses of various people, my own view will alter and shift as I learn new aspects. This excites me.

I do not live in the dorm, so that might limit my ability to socialise. (Plus, with a toddler, it is really difficult) I will spend a lot of time getting to know my husband’s hometown, family and friends. We even brought our dog along with us, which I am eternally grateful for. Having my whole family unit will make me feel more at home, and help me when I am homesick.

So, the main goal of this trip is to learn Korean language and lifestyle to improve the dynamics of our intercultural family. At the same time, I will widen my worldviews and learn major lessons in life, about East Asia, and my own home country.

Rikki Kim, Bachelor of Arts (Master of Teaching (Primary R-7) Pathway) student, Semester 2 2017 exchange at Kyung Hee University, South Korea