Having the time of my life!

I have now been here in Germany for two months and have truly loved every minute of it. For the most of March I took part in an intensive German course which was extremely helpful in improving my German and allowed me to meet a lot of new people. Unlike Berlin, most people in Frankfurt Oder don’t speak English so knowing some German is very useful.

University started about a month ago and is quite different to how Uni operates in Australia, for starters the semester is split into two blocks, April/May and June/July. Thankfully for this block, I only have classes on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday allowing me plenty of time to still party and travel. The weather is starting to become warmer now too which is nice as when I had first arrived it was snowing.

Prior to my departure, I had thought I would be mainly making German friends, but that hasn’t been the case at all. Rather it is the many students from all over the world who attend the University, from the Americas, Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia it is a very multicultural group. However, I am the only Australian here which is has been very cool considering most people I meet here have never actually met an Australian person before.

To date, the cities that I have travelled to are Prague, Leipzig (in Germany) and Hamburg (also in Germany) with Prague and Hamburg being the standouts. However, I still have plenty of places that I want to visit before my time here in Europe ends in August with the next destination on my ‘must travel list’ being to Copenhagen next week.

Until next time,

Tschüss!

Scott Townsend, Bachelor of Commerce (Finance)/Bachelor of Business (International Business) student, Semester 1 2018 exchange at European University of Viadrina, Germany 

• Read Scott’s 1st blog post here