Semester 2 exams start on 9 November 2019. If you have exams coming up, it is a good time to start preparing. Check out some useful tips and hints.
The SQ5R Method
What is the SQ5R method?
- Survey the whole topic and look for summaries
- Question: ask yourself questions based on headings in the book or lecture notes
- Read actively with definite questions in mind.
- Record in note form the main points under each heading. Make key points stand out by underlining or highlighting in colour
- Recite from memory the answers to specific questions. If you can’t answer, then go back to reading and recording and try again
- Review each section as you complete it. Test yourself by writing and reciting
- Reflect on the meaning of the reading. Ask: how can I apply this?
Charts and Graphs
Charts and graphs are important summaries of material. Use the SQ5R and turn their headings into questions.
Examination Preparation -Ten Study Tips
Use these top ten study tips to prepare successfully for your exams
- Give yourself enough time to study
- Organize your study space
- Practice using past exam papers
- Organize study groups with friends
- Explain your answers to others
- Take regular study breaks to keep a balance
- Keep yourself in good health through regular exercise
- Maintain a balance diet. Eat little and often to improve your concentration
- Have enough sleep and stick to a fairly regular sleep schedule
- Having difficulties? Ask for help from academics if it’s on a topic, book an appointment with a counsellor for personal matters and consult a doctor if you have health problems