Stay healthy with another great recipe from Flinders alumni Rebecca Greco
Vegetarian, gluten free, low GI
80g (1/2 cup) pine nuts
1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 2.5cm pieces
1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Ground black pepper, to taste
120g fetta, crumbled
Place the pine nuts in a small frying pan over medium heat. Stir, for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a bowl.
Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add the pumpkin and boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender.
Drain the pumpkin and transfer to a large bowl. Add the toasted pine nuts, onion and parsley. Toss gently to combine.
Combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 1 minute or until warm.
Drizzle the salad with the warm dressing and toss gently to combine. Transfer the salad to a shallow serving platter, sprinkle with the fetta and season with pepper. Serve immediately.
– Substitute the pine nuts with sunflower seeds for a cost effective replacement
– No need to add salt, the feta will give you the flavour
– Toss any herbs from the garden like basil and thyme to increase the antioxidant load
– Add baby spinach, kale or beetroot to get more veggies in your day
– Replace the fetta with tofu or tempeh for a vegan version
Director of Nourish Adelaide