Taking control of mental health

For me, Movember is not only an opportunity to raise funds and awareness around mental health and cancer, but an opportunity to educate and empower people to self manage their mental health and reduce the risk of cancer.

I am looking to focus on mental health. I think everyone has their personal battles and I want to share some tools and strategies to allow people to better self manage. Whether its a few tips on effective communication or the physiology of hormone regulation through exercise, I know there is a heap of quality information out there and I want to share it with as many people as I can.

45% of all Australians will experience a mental illness during their lives and 1 in 5 Australians aged between 18-65 currently have a mental illness. These are some pretty big numbers and I think it only further highlights the need to provide some support, especially as the studies were done before the covid-19 outbreak.

But self management is very accessible, I just feel that most people don’t know how. Exercise is a fantastic way to provide some relief. With the proper application it can reduce anxiety, provide better sleep, increase mood and reduce the symptoms of depression.

This Movember, I want to highlight some of these areas and share some methods that can help people take control of their mental health.

If you’d like to support our cause having fun and raising awareness for MOvember, you register yourself or a team here.

• Daniel Berry, 5th year Masters of Clinical Exercise Physiology student
All students