Starting Uni

There is loads of information available to help you get started at Flinders, but it can get a bit overwhelming trying to navigate new terminology, new systems and not knowing where to go for help!

To help get you on your way, start by logging into Compass, our student website. Head to the new students section and follow the six steps to get everything sorted, from accepting your offer, sorting out your finances and completing your enrolment. We recommend you complete the steps in order, to ensure you don’t miss anything along the way.

Our extended Orientation Program is designed to help you get familiar with all the services, resources and activities available to you as a Flinders student. You don’t need to learn about everything at once, hence we’ve spread Orientation over four weeks. This way, you’ll get the information you need, when it’s relevant for you.

We’ve put together a brief list of some important admin tasks you should get onto before your studies start. Please note, this is not a comprehensive list of everything you need to do, but will head you off in the right direction.

• Complete my Commonwealth Assistance Forms for my tuition fees and my Student Services and Amenities Fees if I want to defer paying my fees (check your eligibility to see if this applies to you)
  • Enrol in my topics (usually 4 topics/ 36 units for a full-time study load)
  • Register in class activities (if required. Note: some online topics do not have scheduled classes)
  • Order my Student ID card
  • Know which textbooks I need, have bought them or know where to access them
  • Plan my journey to Flinders (and bought my metro card or parking permit if needed)
  • Visit Flinders Learning Online (FLO) and had a look at my topic information
  • Check out the Library
  • Check my timetable for week one, so I know where I am supposed to be and when

During Semester, make sure you keep an eye on your Flinders email account for Ping (our student e-newsletter), which has important information, news, events and giveaways.

Good luck with your studies and please don’t hesitate to reach out to our friendly support teams if you have any questions.

All students