Get to know your College: Nicki Scholes-Robertson

What is your role and what does your work focus on? 

I am based at the Mparntwe campus (Alice Springs). My role is within the Remote Health Practice team as a member of the Allied Health team. I am in a balanced position and also assist with student placements. For the research component, I am passionate about rural and remote access to care, particularly in the area of Chronic Kidney Disease.

Where did you work before joining MPH?

Prior to commencing at Flinders University 7 months ago, I was working at the University of Sydney in the areas of consumer involvement in research and finishing up my PhD.

Nicki and her husband bushwalking in Central Australia (Serpentine Gorge).

What journey brought you to this point in your career? 

In 2018, I was invited as a consumer (patient) to present to the Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology at a conference in Sydney. A Program grant BEAT-CKD (CIA Jonathan Craig) had a focus on consumer involvement and as I had a kidney transplant and had been on dialysis, I joined the consumer board. After my talk, I was invited to join the Centre for Kidney Research at The University of Sydney and decided to do a PhD. Following its completion, and that all my children had left home, my husband and I decided it was time for a change, so we sold our house and moved to Alice Springs. We had lived in remote areas of Australia and really wanted to live remote again.

What is something you love most about your work? 

That I get to learn from some incredible people who are my co-workers, but the absolute highlight has been learning more regarding the local Aboriginal Cultural context from the incredible Aboriginal Lecturers Deborah, Tanya, and Kristy at Alice Springs.

Nicki and her little brother (and kidney donor) Andrew Burgess at a ‘Transplant games’.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

Anybody who knows me well, knows I am not great at relaxing, but some strategies to assist with this are crocheting and walking in the amazing central Australian Landscape.

Who is the most famous person you are related to?

Albert Facey (A Fortunate Life) is my Great grandfather.

Alice Springs CMPH Staff Flinders NT Get to know CMPH Rural and Remote