Get to know your College: Leigh Moore

What is your role and what does your work focus on? 

At the moment I am the topic coordinator for the postgraduate “Introduction to Qualitative Research” topic and also have a role in the Flinders Northern Territory University Department of Rural Health (UDRH). The UDRH role involves working in diverse ways to grow the rural and remote health workforce by supporting quality student placements throughout the Northern Territory (NT).

Where did you work before joining MPH? 

My background is in community pharmacy, so previously I have worked in pharmacies all over the NT including Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Katherine, and Darwin. I also worked for various pharmacy organisations, for the Asthma Foundation, and taught into a Bachelor of Pharmacy course and intern training programs.

Leigh and her family at Robyn Falls, Northern Territory

What journey brought you to this point in your career?

Working in pharmacy for a long time gave me an insight into health and workforce disparities in rural and remote areas and piqued my interest in research. I had so many questions I wanted answered and finally, had capacity about 5 years ago to complete a Graduate Diploma of Health Research and a Master of Public Health. In 2007, while raising my four children, I started working in pharmacy education and placements. In 2011, I added a role with the Flinders NT Medical Program as a casual PBL tutor. All of these experiences contributed to me ending up in this amazing role with the UDRH.

What is something you love most about your work? 

Definitely the people. I love watching people learn and helping to facilitate not only learning but a genuine interest in education. With the diversity in my role I get to do a bit of everything: teaching, research, advocacy, running educational escape rooms, project management, schools engagement, and relationship building. This means I get to meet many inspirational people, be a part of some incredible programs and continue to learn and be challenged myself.

How do you like to relax or spend your spare time?

I enjoy getting outdoors and enjoying some of the beautiful places we have in the NT. I go camping with my family, walk with my dog and help out at the Riding for Disabled. Recently I got to achieve one of my bucket list items, riding an Icelandic horse in Iceland.

Riding an Icelandic horse (in Iceland)
CMPH Staff Flinders NT Get to know CMPH Rural and Remote