Singaporean interns seek fresh experiences from Flinders

Singaporean students from Temasek Polytechnic in the Diploma in Applied Food Science and Nutrition, Theresa Kwek and Rebecca Tan, have settled into the department as part of their 3-month Overseas Student Internship Programme (OSIP). As part of their third and final year of Polytechnic education they will be involved mostly in research projects, such as the Maggie Beer Foundation Project for aged care facilities in Australia, and the assessment of the nutritional status and the relationship with clinical outcomes in vascular surgery patients. They will also sit in on relevant classes, including food practicals and journal club.

Theresa Kwek said “I wasn’t expecting myself to opt for an Overseas Internship mainly because I am a more emotionally attached person. However, I knew that this opportunity would allow me to become a more independent individual, whether it is in my learning experience or as a person. I have always recognised Flinders University as a place specialised in Nutrition and Dietetics, so I am very glad to have been able to have an internship placement here and widen my knowledge in the field of nutrition and dietetics. Being in Adelaide also exposes me to a brand new culture, different from what has been inculcated in me in Singapore since young. This opportunity allows me to learn to embrace cultural differences and adapt to them. I know these three months are going to be awesome!”

Rebecca Tan said “Ever since I was introduced to the concept of going abroad for further studies, I started to keep a look out for any opportunities offered to go overseas for exchange programmes. The reason behind opting for Flinders University as an internship placement is simple. Heading to a different country that adopts different work ethics as compared to what I have been accustomed to back in Singapore would expose me to broader perspectives of not only the department of Nutrition and Dietetics, but also build up on my knowledge of what has been taught about food science in Singapore. In addition, I am well aware that Flinders University’s Department of Nutrition and Dietetics is very recognised in Singapore. Therefore, I hope I will be able to keep an open mind while I am in Adelaide so that I will be able to gain as much experience as I can, and make the best out of the three months here.”

Flinders Nutrition and Dietetics are open to the two interns gaining exposure to a variety of Nutrition and Dietetics experiences during their time with us so if you have any opportunities that you would like to offer them (e.g. small projects, observation) then please do so via nutrition.dietetics@flinders.edu.au

Rebecca and Theresa

Uncategorized