Singapore interns experience sea-change in Adelaide

Temasek Polytechnic
Nawirah, Grace and Jos Lyn

Singaporean students from Temasek Polytechnic in the Diploma in Applied Food Science and Nutrition, Nawirah, Jos Lyn and Grace have settled into the department as part of their 3-month Overseas Student Internship Programme (OSIP). As part of their third and final year of Polytechnic education they will be involved mostly in aspects of departmental research. They will also sit in on relevant classes, including food practicals and journal club.

Jos Lyn said: I would like to pursue a degree in nutrition and dietetics, however, there are not many schools that offer this degree back home. Thus, if I were given a chance to study here, I would like to do so. I would also like to see how the classes are being held here and get a taste of what a uni student life is, so as to get myself prepare when I pursue my degree. Also, it is a rather small industry in Singapore, where there are limited spaces for us students, interested in nutrition/dietetics, to learn more about this industry. Two of our seniors that came here last year, told us that it was a very good experience that they did a variety of things such as recipe analysis, data entry, participating in programs like the cooking school. Throughout the 6 weeks that we have been here, I have enjoyed my stay and the work I have done so far. If I were given another chance to do my internship here again, I would be gladly to do so, because I really felt that I have gain a lot of skills when I am here. going to Sprout and attending the SAHMRI public lecture as well as visiting the Repatriation hospital have been the highlight so far.

Nawirah said: For the past month and a half that I have been here, I have really enjoyed my stay as well as the work that I have been tasked to do. I think that if anyone ever has the opportunity to do an overseas attachment or internship, they should cease the opportunity as it is really a new learning experience.

Grace said: I chose to have an overseas internship at Flinders as I wanted to experience what it would be like to study abroad as I was planning to come to Flinders University after I have graduated from Temasek Polytechnic in Singapore with my diploma in Applied Food Science and Nutrition. Doing my internship in Flinders gave me a better familiarity of the university and also of Adelaide if I chose to continue my studies here. Flinders University is also known for its Nutrition and Dietetics course which not many universities in Singapore provide. We really appreciate Flinders University for taking us in as their interns even all your busy schedules and taking effort to let us participate in your projects which has been a great experience for us. My highlights so far during this internship were the cooking practical sessions conducted at Sprout Cooking School where we got to cook and learn how to substitute ingredients with the healthier options and also learnt how much measurement were as it would be crucial when evaluating the serving size described by patients when they do their food recall.”

Uncategorized