Semester Exchange in the U.K.

profile-photo-faceGeorgia Dornin
Flinders Degree: Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
Program: Semester exchange Semester 1 2016
Destination: University of Leicester, the United Kingdom

“Making new friends so far from home that I connected with so well was probably the most rewarding experience. Realising I could independently live out of home and stay motivated at uni was also very rewarding”.

Highlight
The highlight was definitely my best friends. One day we went to the theme park, Alton towers together and that way by far my best day while I was in the U.K.

Before You Go
I was afraid I wouldn’t make any friends and that I would be homesick, but I overcame these by putting myself in the position to meet new people and getting involved to make friends.

Orientation
Orientation consisted of a few introductory lectures and tours by the university as well as some events to meet other study abroad students such as lunches and game nights.

Study Life

• As a study abroad student I did not have to sit exams but rather just had 2 essays per topic to complete. I found the workload very easily manageable and completed my essays in Easter break.
  • We were provided with opportunities to meet other students with game nights and coffee nights.

Housing
On campus housing. The accommodation had great facilities such as laundry kitchen bathroom etc..

Money Matters

• Housing Cost
    AU$1000-$1500 per month for self-catering facilities. In Leicester I wouldn’t recommend staying on campus as it was very expensive and there are so many share houses in the town that could be found for a lot cheaper and would foster friendships with house mates.
  • Living Expenses
    I needed probably around $12,000 AUD in total for rent, food, laundry, travel etc.

Financial assistance
I received an OS-help loan of about $6000 AUD and also a $1000 AUD RA Simpson International Scholarship from Flinders.

Lifestyle

• Typical Day
    As my days differed depending on my uni schedule I will describe my usual Friday. I would wake up and have breakfast and go to the gym before getting ready and heading to uni for the afternoon. I would attend all my lectures and then meet up with my friends for dinner at their house and we would head to the night club on campus.
  • Differences
    There weren’t really many differences in culture, just living out of home at university was a major point of difference and the culture of a university student out of home is different.
  • Making friends
    The best way to make friends was to get involved. I joined a social netball team and also the University of Leicester exchange and Erasmus society to meet new people.

Challenges
I had difficulty making friends to begin with and I didn’t get along with my flat mates so I felt very lonely. Once I involved myself in netball and social activities I made more friends and was much happier. I also ran out of money and had to borrow some off my parents for travel.

Advice to Flinders Students Thinking about Overseas Study Opportunities

• Budget well to make your money last because living alone abroad is more expensive than you think.
  • Do and see as much as you can and make a real effort to make friends.
  • Don’t stress too much and remember to have fun because you’ll never be in this situation again, just make the most of it.
Visiting the Swiss Alps on Contiki
Visiting the Swiss Alps
Some of my netball team mates at our final training session at the U. of Leicester
My netball team mates at our final training session at the U. of Leicester
Boarding the Hogwarts Express through platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station in London
Some of my netbagll team from the University of Leicester at a tournament in the Olympic Park, London
My netball team from the University of Leicester at a tournament in the Olympic Park, London

Seeing Trafalgar Square in London with my best friends from University of Leicester
Seeing Trafalgar Square in London with my best friends from U. of Leicester
The Queen Guard at Windsor Castle
Paragliding in the Austrian Alps

Outbound Returned Student Interviews Outbound Student Blogs Student Exchange 101