I’m coming for you, NAU!

In a week’s time I will be jumping on a plane out of Adelaide to explore LA with my best friend for a few days, before venturing off on our own to our respective exchange universities. I will be hopping over the border to Flagstaff, Arizona to experience the all-american college life at Northern Arizona University.

To be honest, I don’t actually know how I feel right now. I feel like the whole process of applying to the program and organising subjects, payments and travel itineraries has been such a long process that the fact that I am leaving the country for 6 months in 1 week hasn’t really hit me yet! Nonetheless, I am very excited for my new adventure. I will be taking Human Anatomy & Physiology, Cellular & Molecular Biology, Healthy Lifestyles and Environmental Health.

I have been very fortunate to have travelled overseas many times before, I have lived by myself for 7 months in Sweden during my gap year and I was in the USA this past Christmas, so I don’t feel that I will have much adjusting to do to the American culture or being alone. The only thing playing on my mind is the process of making new friends and getting out of my comfort zone. I am quite studious at home and often prioritise my studies over social events, so I have made a promise to myself to say “YES!” to every opportunity thrown my way, put myself out there in student clubs and do as much travel as I can.

I am going into this with no expectations… I’ll be going with the flow of my fellow lumberjacks!!

Josephine Otto , Bachelor of Health Sciences student, Semester 2 2017 exchange at Northern Arizona University, the United States