Hear from Jade, a Flinders Postgraduate student

My name is Jade Filsell. I am 22 years old and I have recently completed my Bachelor of Education (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts, with my areas of specialisation being English and Visual Arts. Being secondary trained means I am able to teach both English and Visual Arts to Year 12. For the duration of my degree, I studied full-time at the Bedford Park campus. In March I am beginning my first semester of the Graduate Certificate in Education (Wellbeing and Positive Mental Health). I am currently working as a temporary relief teacher which is furthering my ability to adapt and build on my behaviour management skills. My Postgraduate study this year is something I have personally chosen as I believe the content learned will allow me to better cater to the needs of all students.

Now, to explain university to someone who is new to studying, it’s a little like high school! By the end of your degree, everyone kind of knows everyone! I have used my time at university to connect with those around me. University is such a great place to meet people that have similar interests and goals as you. While it might be hard in the first few terms of uni life, trying to make an effort to speak to people in your tutorials/workshops is super beneficial! Getting to know people in my classes (and maybe adding them on Facebook) gave me the opportunity to make friends and plan catchups before or after classes. Also, don’t forgot that your tutors are there to help you and have often worked in the field that you are studying – pick their brain and network with them!

If I could give one piece of advice about university life, I would say that while uni is stressful and not always easy, remember to enjoy yourself and take uni as a chance to: make friends, network, make connections, and enjoy new experiences. To make university life a little bit easier, especially when you’re just beginning, remember to check out the services and supports that Flinders offers!

All students Student Stories