Studying Information Technology at Flinders | James

Studying Information Technology at Flinders

Hi! My name is James, and I am a third-year Bachelor of Information Technology (Networks and Cybersecurity Systems) student at Flinders University who is studying both Cyber Security Information Technology and Criminology. I understand that beginning university can be daunting, so this is a timeline of how an average day of mine goes.

Arriving at University

I spend most of my time in my degree at the Flinders Tonsley campus, which is a quick 10-minute drive from the main Bedford Park campus. Opened in 2015 , the new campus has up-to-date and modern facilities to best enable students to succeed.

I live quite far from Flinders, but that isn’t a problem because of the diversity of transport options. Catching the train from the city only takes me 20 minutes to get to Tonsley, and it gives me time to relax and prepare for my day. However, if you decide to drive, there are a few carparks for you to choose from, so you won’t have to worry about that. You can also catch the loop bus if you want to go between Bedford Park, Sturt, or Tonsley.

Once I arrive, I head to the Three Little Pods café to grab something to eat and drink before heading into the university building to study. There are six floors, so I can usually find somewhere quiet to sit, and the view of the city only gets better as you go up!

Tutorials and Lectures

With enough time to spare, I will start heading to the room that my tutorial or lecture is in that day. You can always check your timetable if you ever forget where a class is, and there are some great apps like Lost on Campus if you ever need to find a room for the first time.

The content I learn in my degree changes each semester based on which topics I choose, and because Flinders offers several degrees in Computer Science and Information Technology, I have the opportunity to meet a whole range of different people. As a graduate in this area, you will be a part of one of the fastest growing industries globally with job opportunities ranging from software development to Artificial Intelligence research, and beyond. I also have a passion for Criminology which I am weighing up pursing, so there’s always a path for you.

If you are interested in studying with us, I highly recommend requesting a tour of our campuses. We are always here to help, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

James Roddick