Golden Key Honour

Golden key on a chain

I recently had the privilege of interviewing Stuart, a Flinders Uni student who received an invitation into the Golden Key Honour Society.

What are you studying?

I am doing a Bachelor of Education (Primary/Special Education) / Bachelor of Disability Studies, a double degree. This is my final year, and I am looking forward to completing my studies and going out there working as a teacher!

What is the Golden Key?

I was honoured to be invited by Flinders University, one of the 400 colleges and universities around the world who are members of the Golden Key International Honour Society.

The Golden Key International Honour Society is a society of support to enhance the vision of achieving personal, professional and philanthropic goals.

Their website says “With more than 2 million members, including honoraries like Desmond Tutu, Elie Wiesel and Bill Clinton, Golden Key carries an esteemed legacy of achievement. Members are a community with linkage to widely respected individuals and ideas… all part of the continuum of excellence.”

What are the benefits of being awarded the Golden Key?

Golden Key helps people to unlock their potential and be part of the legacy. They offer:

• Scholarships: to help with the continuance of their education
  • Study Abroad Programs: which takes learning outside the classroom to broaden their horizons and offering an immersion experience
  • Leadership: workshops and seminars to enhance leadership skills
  • Jobs and Internships: connections to jobs and internships through corporate partners.
  • Academics: gain recognition for being in the top 15% of graduates.
  • Networking: graduates enjoy a wider network of people around the world.

How can students join the Golden Key?

Membership into the Society is by invitation only and is awarded to the university’s top 15% of their highest-performing graduate students in all fields of study. Once they receive their invitation to join the Golden Key, they can become a member by paying a small one-off fee to access these benefits.

At first, I wasn’t sure if this was the real deal, but after asking around and talking with people who had the Golden Key, they said it was worth getting. So I paid for my membership, and I am pleased that I did. The level of recognition I have received has increased substantially as well as the possibilities of work offers in the future.

What are your plans for when you finish your degree?

I have been lucky enough to be offered TRT work at three schools already. I intend to gain more work experience via TRT bookings and then hopefully secure a contract or permanent job. Later I aim to do a Masters in Disability Studies so that I can become a Teacher of the Deaf.

Congratulations to Stuart from Health, Counselling and Disability Services!

Disability Advisor Kirsten Disability News News Student post