This showed up in my email inbox. Targeted towards veterans who are looking to transition to university study. Given that they might not be reading this newsletter, I call on existing subscribers to send this to anyone you think might be interested.
The Military Academic Pathway Program is a free intensive 4-week program for military veterans that will develop your independent learning skills and prepare you for university study. The program is specifically designed to assist military veterans transition successfully into university, both academically and socially. The program covers a wide range of academic skills development, but also provides campus tours, facilitated engagement with support services, linking with peer mentoring, and academic advocacy.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will gain guaranteed entry into one of a range of undergraduate degrees at Flinders University.
On successful completion of the program, you will:
- develop skills in academic writing, argumentation and critical thinking
- be familiar with effective research strategies and using the library,
- be able to correctly reference your work
- appreciate diversity and alternative perspectives
- critically read and comprehend a range of texts
- communicate your ideas on a given topic orally and in writing in a clear and logical manner
- have a basic understanding of statistics and how to interpret and evaluate statistical data
- use computing programs and online learning tools to an appropriate standard.
When: 4 November – 6 December 2019
Where: Flinders University, Bedford Park
Class contact: 18 hours per week from 9:30am to 2:00pm | 4-days per week (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri)
Additional study: You will need to allocate approximately 18 hours per week for additional study.
The MAP Program works in partnership with StoryRight. Students will complete a 1-day workshop with StoryRight on 4 November prior to commencing the MAP Program the following week. The StoryRight workshop will be held at Flinders University, Bedford Park campus.