It might be valuable for you to know the USEP consultant

A message from the USEP consultant Sascha about her role at the university. Of particular interest to students with disability.

Welcome students to 2021

To those returning to campus…how good is it to be back!

To those who have just started, what an exciting time you are about to have.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Sascha Lemon-Spence and I’m the University Specialist Employment Partnership (USEP) consultant her at Flinders Uni. In a nutshell… I’m the Disability Advisor within the Careers Team.

You will find me all over, but I’m based on level 2 of the Central Library, Bedford Campus in the Careers Commons on Tuesdays.

What is USEP ?– I hear you saying

The USEP program is a National program (hosted by the NDCO), that is centered around assisting students that have a disability, with 1:1 specialist on campus careers support. It’s aimed at final year and those that are 12 months post-graduation, but don’t let that stop you from getting in touch, I love to chat to anyone and help where I can.

Things I help students with are:

• Understanding supports on and off campus and linking in with them
  • Industry information
  • Assistance with all things job search. Like resumes, interview skills, job search, networking.
  • Disclosure – everyone likes to chat about disclosure J
  • Sometimes it’s just having a chat because you aren’t sure where else to start.
  • Linking to graduate and mainstream employers and opportunities
  • Using Career Hub effectively

I also host and get involved in workshops, so keep an eye out for those.

Next one coming up is “Stepping Stones to Employment” on 16/3 from 3pm to 4pm in the Career Commons. This is an informational session that looks at, on and off campus supports, NDIS information, Disability Employment Services and more. It’s a face to face session but will be recorded on Collaborate as well.

Also SAVE THE DATE – 18th May – I’m collaborating with the team from Horizons to deliver a session on “Disability Confidence for Employment”.

This session is aimed at assisting students to;

• Build confidence and understanding around your disability, how it impacts you and your support needs
  • What employers are looking for in employees and how disclose can help them to help you
  • Industry information
  • Information on your rights around disclosure – when and why.
  • Connecting with employers and past students.

Book 1:1 consults via Career Hub.

Go to “Get Advice” and scroll to the bottom to find me, then follow the prompts to book in. I have sessions open generally 4 weeks in advance. Also, keep an eye out for drop in sessions.

If you need any help with the type of contact (maybe you are more comfortable chatting via phone or online), a private room or other supports please flag that with me when you have booked.

You can email me on usep@cbsinc.org.au or call 0448 000 897.

I also go to Sturt, Tonsley and City so if you need an alternate location, just let me know.

I’m really looking forward to reconnecting with everyone this year, even if we are bathed in sanitizer and 1.5 m apart!!

Sascha has worked in employment services for 16 years and specifically in disability employment for over 10 years with a 5 star DES provider – Community Bridging Services. She has been the USEP Consultant at Flinders Uni since its inception in July 2018. Sascha works closely with the Careers and Employability Team, Disability Services, WIL as well as college staff and student bodies to get the best support possible for the USEP participants, whilst promoting Flinders students to employers.

Testimonials

Past student comment – March 2021

“you provide a great service that is very useful for those looking for work in areas related to their study not only once completing their study, but during as a way of gaining a better understanding of their field and the opportunities available within it.”

LinkedIn post from a student:

“So I’ve chosen to study at Flinders University because they focus on the creating a learning experience and environment that is wholistic & person-centred. The student well-being team in conjunction with FUSA (student council) in particular have really got their act together in the last 4 years and launched initiatives to help students with a diverse range of activities like a community market on Thursdays, conversation classes at the Oasis and implementing free mental health first aid certification for all students. Tonight I’m writing about one of my favourite parts of study and professional development for students with a disability at uni, the USEP careers officers. I’ve know Sascha Lemon-Spence for several years now and she’s given me invaluable advice regarding job interviews and cvs, how to manage my time, access to programs like Rapid Enterprise Development scheme and even how to recover when you make a major faux-pas at work. Sascha is non-judgemental, compassionate, ethical and knowledgeable, (trust me, she’s heard it all before) so don’t be shy. It’s your student fees paying for the services of USEP and it’s a first rate program.”

Disability Advisor Lauren Disability News Flinders services and programs Job and work opportunities Our Partners People